banner by Kaory
Latest News:
"The Lion and the Rose" thread
4x03 pomo
Welcome! Please log in or sign up.

Username:   Password:
Poll Only
  • Pages:
Which was the best Jaime/Brienne episode?
3x02 (banter in the woods, sword fight, capture) 4 (6.9%)
3x03 (Jaime saves Brienne, loses hand) 2 (3.4%)
3x04 (Brienne convinces Jaime to live) 2 (3.4%)
3x05 (arrival at Harrenhal, bath time) 26 (44.8%)
3x06 (dinner w/ Roose, hand touch) 2 (3.4%)
3x07 (goodbye scene, bear pit) 22 (37.9%)
3x10 (arriving at King's Landing) 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 58
Discussion Poll 1 - Favorite J/B episode
Topic Started: Jun 18 2013, 10:40 PM (2,168 Views)
Boleyn
Member Avatar
Administrator

It's that time of year again, time to look back fondly at the season of GoT and have good discussions about how it went. Now that we've had some time to ruminate, let's get started...

First up: Which was your favorite episode, judging it only on the Jaime/Brienne scenes? (We'll do an 'overall' episode poll later)

If you feel like sharing your answer, or to add commentary, post it below. Lurkers, please vote also! :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

vortex
Squire
I just loved there goodbye scenes it was so heart felt. I wish all there scenes could be this way. :luv:
Offline Profile Goto Top

tamjlee
True Knight
This was hard because I would say my favourite surprise was the "good-bye scene", butoverall it was just too short and too many things were missing dialogue wise from the bear pit.So with that being said I had to vote for the bath scene; the accuracy to the book, the meeting and possibly surpassing expectations as well as the brilliant acting by both Nikolaj and Gwen make it hard to beat (in my opinion at least).Oh and we can't forget naked goodness as well.

Oh and by the way Boleyn thanks for starting up the polls, I've been down in the dumps with the lack of activity.......gets our juices flowing :guh:
Edited by tamjlee, Jun 18 2013, 11:26 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lady Hazel
Peasant
It was really really hard, I was between 3x05 and 3x07, but in the end, I picked the former because the bath scene was really well done. Both NCW and GC were perfect and conveyed so much with their words and acting.
OTOH, the goodbye scene was so nnngggggg :luv: And the bear pit wasn't exactly like in the books but I liked it nonetheless.
Offline Profile Goto Top

goldstraw
Member Avatar
True Knight
bath scene because it was just like the books, Nik and Gwen acted the hell out of it and it was just amazing!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dais
Member Avatar
True Knight
I can't pick one, so I'm going to group them.

Loved (in no particular order): 3x02 (banter in the woods, capture); 3x03 (Jaime saves Brienne, loses hand); 3x05 (bath time); 3x06 (dinner w/ Roose, hand touch); 3x07 (goodbye scene).

Ambivalent i.e. mostly liked it in context, didn't quite reach its full potential: 3x02 (sword fight); 3x04 (Brienne convinces Jaime to live); 3x07 (bear pit).

Crowning Moment of Crap: 3x10 (arriving at King's Landing).
Online Profile Goto Top

Ser Snuffles
Member Avatar
True Knight
I was torn between eppys 3 and 4, but in the end went with the humiliation part of episode 4 because I loved that bit in the books and I loved that bit on TV, so yeah episode 4 but not for the reason it has in brackets. But I just liked how they could laugh and jeer at him and he pays no attention because he is completrely focused on the pain of the hand loss and the horse piss and how Brienne is so aghast at how he is being treated which shows her humanity despite her loathing of him and what (she believes) he stands for. How he reaches for the sword in the mud with his stump first. All the little details that make it particularly special to me as a book reader.

I dunno why but the bath scene didn't really do it for me, don't get me wrong, it was fine and so close to the books and yet wasn't what i envisaged for some reason and I cannot even fathom why, maybe it is just baceuse i just find the stump flapping about with it's refection too funny.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tosquinha
Member Avatar
Page
BATH.
I had no doubt that I'd choose it. I don't think that's because this scene was in the books and was written so close to the book's, but mostly because it was so danm well DELIVERED, imo. Felt theatrical to me (since I'm used with the low cost plays I've watched around here, his stump didn't distract me one bit. After their first lines, I completely forgot it and only had eyes for Gwen's big eyes reacting to NCW's acting). Enought to say that I've lightly bitten my laptop screen watching it (not proud of it).

Now if I had to choose a second favorite, I couldn't.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Clothospindle
Member Avatar
True Knight
Bath scene and Goodbye were very close to the top for me, but I voted for 3/02-banter in the woods. I just love all the sass and nice amount of screen time in that episode.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Chicky
Goldenhand the Just
3x02. As much as I love the others, there are half a dozen moments in 3x02 I could write reams of meta about. They're just so Jaime and Brienne in that ep, free of the burden of Jaime's awakening.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gema
Member Avatar
Peasant
I was torn between Bath scene and Bear pit. I loved Nikolaj and Gwen performances in the Bath scene but eventually I voted for the Bear pit because Jaime wears his heart on his sleeve. He had already lost his right hand to save Brienne from being raped and nevertheless he doesn't hesitate on jumping to the pit risking his life to save hers. Altogether it was a powerful scene that showed us Jaime's change is for real.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ReginaSpina
Member Avatar

Choosing a favorite Jaime/Brienne scene is like Sophie's Choice, man! Which of my darlings do I favor above all the rest? :P

As much as I love the bear-pit and the good-bye, and I REALLY REALLY do, I think some of the dialogue worked better in that scene in the book (like ... I really wish Locke had said "You want her, go get her," you know?) BUT on the other hand, it was somehow more suspenseful to me that the bear was still alive and trying to eat Jaime than that Walton just killed it. I wish there had been a little bit more breathing room and also that they hadn't stuck Theon losing his bits into that episode (AAAAAAARRRRRGH! There are so many people commenting on how Theon SO much more sympathetic than Jaime because he said he was sorry about the Starks and had his penis cut off because apparently that plus saying you're sorry and only killing two random orphans in your attempt to impress your dad is more worthy than having your hand cut off, risking your life for Brienne and the attempted murder of a Stark kid who saw you and your sister committing high treason! SoS is JAIME'S book, dammit, Theon will get his turn at the sympathy later on. /rant over)

ANYWAY, so for those reasons, and because the rest of the episode wasn't quite as good, I eventually chose the bath scene over the bear pit, because the bath scene was basically perfect. NCW was absolutely mesmerizing in that scene even though I knew what he was going to say, and watching him deliver that monologue was one of the highlights of season 3. And Gwendoline Christie was right there with her facial expressions and reactions to Jaime, and the way it was staged and filmed was gorgeous and powerful and just worked so well. Every so often, a scene gets translated onto screen EXACTLY as it's always played in my head, and this was one of them.

Upon many rewatches, I like the swordfight better than I did at first, because I did get the sense of Jaime just not being at full strength at all at the beginning of the fight and just being worn down (and also, bouncing off a person in full armor while you are lightly clothed probably won't work :D) BUT I still think it didn't translate how relatively *even* the fight was in the books (sure, Brienne was handicapped by not wanting to kill Jaime but Jaime was also handicapped by having his hands in chains and from the show fight, I can't see Brienne ever thinking that at his full strength, no knight in the seven kingdoms could have stood against Jaime, as she does in Feast.)

I think my least favorite scene was their fireside chat. I get that Brienne is trying to motivate Jaime, blahblah, and he doesn't even respond to her calling him a coward and to the idea of revenge so she moves on to harsher words, but something about her calling his hand loss a "misfortune" STILL rubs me the wrong way.

OK, so that was my dissertation on Season 3 Jaime and Brienne :D Still the best part of the show, IMO, and something I will *treasure*! Can't wait for the DVDs where I hope Gwen & Nikolaj will do commentary? (Which episode would you choose for that, by the way?)
Edited by ReginaSpina, Jun 19 2013, 12:20 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

spuffy
Member Avatar
Peasant
Ok, I could probably make a case for so many scenes.......the good-bye made me cry and it wasn't in the book so bonus, the bath scene was perfection, I enjoyed the banter scene so much and it eas so necessary to show this Jaime before the big moment.So in the end I went with the maiming; partly because it hadn't been picked yet and I have a bit of an inclusion complex ( everyone/thing deserves love), but mostli I picked it because its the big event, the thing that changes it all.Also, in this episode it shows Jaime doing something noble for the first time (stopping the gang rape), as his character grows, so many people will say its all about the maiming, that was his moment, but we have the sapphires moment to show us that Jaime wasn't just a villian, that he always had shades of grey.......and even though they didn't do my favourite second shouting "sapphires" from the book; I still love that sapphires was included into show canon.So many fanfictions have Jaime giving Brienne a sapphire necklace and the fact it was mentioned in the show means I can pretend that this is still a possibility in canon.I'm not ready to give up that dream yet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tamaria
Sparrow
I have to say the goodbye scene because any scene can be better than my imagination but I wasn't expected this one and I love it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

FairladyZ2005
Sellsword
Bath scene ftw. That's the scene where I became an active J/B shipper consciously past the point of no return. Beyond that I have a harder time choosing a second place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jennifer
Member Avatar
Page
I was torn between the bath scene and the goodbye scene, but even though the bath scene was perfectly executed and absolutely amazing, the goodbye scene was so unexpected and just left me giddy after watching it :P I would have laughed if somebody chose the 3x10 scene as their favorite!
Offline Profile Goto Top

YourInnerDemons
Member Avatar
Squire
I'm votin' Harrenhal. Niko's perfomance was just spellbinding and Gwen reacted perfectly to it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

GinMo
Member Avatar
True Knight
ReginaSpina
Jun 19 2013, 12:17 PM
(like ... I really wish Locke had said "You want her, go get her," you know?)
I feel like I'm the only one who loved that he did not say this lol. I think him not saying it made the act of jumping in mean even more, because it's like Jaime wasn't even told to do it. He just did it impulsively.
Edited by GinMo, Jun 19 2013, 08:06 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tosquinha
Member Avatar
Page
GinMo
Jun 19 2013, 08:05 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who loved that he did not say this lol. I think him not saying it made the act of jumping in mean even more, because it's like Jaime wasn't even told to do it. He just did it impulsively.
I never read it as he was told to and was less impulsive than if Hoat didn't say that. Jaime saw Brienne had no chances with a blunt sword (when otherwise she could have beaten the bear, if she did have a fair chance), so he asked him to take her out of there (promising all the gold and sapphires, etc). I think he'd do exactly the same thing if the Goat had simply said "No, I won't". I always loved this because it certainly has more impact than "So Jaime jumped there to save her". And my shipper heart loves to read that Jaime wanted her, so he did jump there. :luv:

I REALLY wanted to hear Locke say that on screen (it was perfectly set up, I hoped till the last second, but he never did). I wanted to scream here "SO HE DID!" or something, because this 3-word sentence is my most favorite sentence for J/B in the books. Anyway, I overcame it because I also LOVE The Bear Pit on TV! Like pratically all their scenes... Urgh, I still can't choose a second favorite scene!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Currawong
Member Avatar
True Knight
I went for the bath scene, but it was a very difficult choice. My second pics were equal - bearpit, and the banter in Ep 2, with Jaime's 'we don't choose who we love' line.

I think a big part of our joy at the bath scene was that so many J/B fans really weren't expecting it: we all desperately wanted that pivotal scene, but there was always that question mark as to whether they would do it, and if so, just 'how' it would come to screen. There was talk that Nik had a 'no nudity' clause in his contract, and so on. Unlike the bearpit, it wasn't mentioned or shown in any of the promos for the season - the only hint was that question (from Fabio of winteriscoming?) in the small group interviews after the big season 3 premiere, where he asked wouldn't it be nice if Jaime had a bath. NCW and Gwen totally deadpanned around the issue, and basically nothing further was said.

So when we got the scene, written and acted so superbly, I think we were all blown away by it.
Edited by Currawong, Jun 19 2013, 10:01 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Season 3 · Next Topic »
Poll Only
  • Pages:

Disclaimer: Jaime/Brienne Online is a non-profit forum by and for the fans for entertainment purposes only. It is not affiliated
with George R.R. Martin or HBO. Content is subject to Fair Use, and no copyright infringements are intended. ®2012-2014